Monday, June 21, 2010

Ethan Thomas Griffith is here!

Well, I don't have pictures yet (I'm still in the hospital bed) but I'll post them soon. I just wanted to get the story down while it's all still fresh.
Sunday afternoon I started feeling really sick, having hot flashes, and irregular contractions. I was miserable enough I pulled Tom out of his class and we went home early. I continued feeling pretty crumby the rest of the day. I felt bad because it was Father's Day and I couldn't do as much for Tom as I'd hoped. I was getting so frustrated, thinking "I wish I would go into labor, or not! This in-between, contractions but not in labor sucks!"
I had a doctors apt. scheduled Wed, where I hoped to convince my doctor to induce me a few days early (about 4 days early was my plan). Yes, I know I'm a big baby.
Contractions continued into the night, waking me a few times. At about 3:30 my water finally broke! I had to have my water broken with Lucy so I wasn't really sure what to expect. I was excited because it's a for sure sign, instead of having to time the contractions and hope they are long or hard enough to be the real thing.
I jumped out of bed, excitedly woke Tom, called Grandma Griffith to come stay with Lucy, and frantically packed our bags. For some reason, vacuuming the house seemed really important, so my WONDERFUL husband vacuumed our house at 4 a.m. for me :)
The lady checking us in was SUPER annoying because she kept saying things like, "Well we'll have a nurse come look at you and see if we can figure out what's going on."
What does that mean?? My water broke, I"m having contractions, I'm 39 weeks pregnant...I'm freakin' in labor! That's what's going on. I'm not imagining this.
ANYWAY, labor started progressing pretty quickly. Contractions were making me shake and sweat with every single one. I got an epidural, and was AMAZED at how well it worked. With Lucy it was placed wrong and it didn't numb me at all, and HURT going in. But this time, it worked like a charm. I had no idea that much pain could be taken out of labor.
For the last hour, when the labor moved to my back, I started feeling the pain again. Shortly it was time to push.
1 hour of pushing (much longer than Lucy's 20 min of pushing, but he was much bigger), and he was here! We're all healthy and happy. I'm sore and tired of course, and Lucy has a stomach bug that prevented her from meeting Ethan today, but she'll meet him tomorrow.
I'm so excited to have our son here...and to no longer be pregnant. My mom flies in Thursday, so Tom will stay with me until she gets here.
Having a baby is like graduating high school or college; you spend so much time doing this one thing, then all of the sudden it's over! It's an incredible feeling.
Wish me luck adjusting to a family of four! Feel free to pass any advice my way.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats!!!! I am so happy for your guys. See you were not in labor forever. Good Luck!! It is fun having two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats!!! and just take one day at a time and you'll get your groove down with havin 2 kiddos!

    ReplyDelete