Sunday, April 4, 2010

Hula Hooping obsession


I've heard a lot lately about a new fitness movement revolving around hula hooping. I decided to check it out. I read several articles, all saying the benefits (once you can actually keep the hoop going for long periods of time) match and can outweigh running benefits! Sold. I love running (although at this point in the pregnancy it's mostly walking because the jolting movements of running are more than I can take at my present shape and size) but I'm always interested in finding fun things to switch up my routine. I bought a weighted hula hoop (they recommend two pounds) and tried it out this weekend. I loved it!
It's going to take a while to get up to keeping the hoop going long enough and easily enough to do a lot of the routines that involve actually moving around the floor while you're hooping, but I did get the hoop around 167 times within the first day, so it's possible! I'm really excited to be able to do some of the workouts I watched on YouTube. They look so cool! I didn't realize how hard it really works your legs and core until the next morning; I was SOOOO SORE!
I'm excited to develop this new area of fitness, and encourage you all to try it out! Super fun.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! kudos to you kiddo, I can't keep the dang thing going and never have been able to and you are 6 1/2 months pregnant. I'm totally impressed and I bet it would be fun! Take care and don't get the little guy too dizzy with all those circles. Love Aunt nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought one just because of this post. I got a hard plastic wavy one so it is hard and hurts a little but it is fun to hula hoop again. I just got it today and haven't used it except for a few minutes. It is kinda big for my little living room. So here's hoping it gets better weather soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete