Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Good News!!

So there I was, feeding Lucy when the phone rings. It's a 708 area code, and I consider not answering. Then I think, what the heck? I'm not really doing anything anyway.
"This is Miriah." (That's how I answer the phone when I don't know who it is)
"Hello, this is Fran Pardi with the Fieldbrook agency. I'd like to talk to you about your manuscript."
At this point my heart has lept into my throat, cutting off any response.
Pause. "You sent me the first three chapters a while ago..." (As if I don't remember!)
"Yes," I finally squawk.
Fran Pardi, a renouned book agent, called my cell phone! We chatted briefly about a few improvments I could make to my manuscript. She asked me to revise, and send her the entire 300 plus pages!
I am so excited! It is SO, SO hard to get representation for a fiction novel for first-time authors. After not hearing back from her for a couple months, I assumed the worst. But now, here comes chance, knocking at my door! I am going to spend the next few weeks, revising, rethinking, and rewriting until it's as perfect as I can make it. I am going to rake through every sentence with a fine-toothed comb. Even if I don't get published right now, it is such an honor to have been contacted and have my entire manuscript requested, and I feel proud of myself for getting this far. It took a lot of courage to write it, and even more courage to submit it to literary agencies.
I am so thankful for everyone who encouraged me. Nothing is final, and she could read the manuscript and decide against it anyway. But, as I said, for her to call me and discuss revisions, as well as ask for more...it's further than I've ever gotten before. And for my first attempt at my first novel...it gives me hope :0)

5 comments:

  1. That is great! Good luck with the reveiwing and revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOO-HOOOO!!!!!!! I am so happy for you and so proud of you! Way to go and good luck what a great opportunity and blessing. Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! That is so great and I am so excited for you! I hope to some day read this book! Good luck with all the fine-tooth reading and editing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't checked on your blog in couple of weeks and so I had some catch up reading to do and it looks like you have had a lot going on. Congratulations on a house! Amanda would love to buy one but we don't know if we will be in St. George long enough to make it worth it. But good for you! Then what a cute birthday party for Lucy. I can't believe that she is a year old already. And she is absolutely beautiful! Finally way to go on the book. That is so great that she called you and that you get to do some editing before you turn it in. We wish you the best on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!! OH MY GOSH THATS FANTASTIC NEWS MIRIAH!!! what an incredible phone call- i cant fathom!!! man, way to go-thats just so freaking great!!!

    ReplyDelete