Friday, September 4, 2009

The World I Want For Lucy

A friend told me the other day that the qualities that we as women admire in other people, are generally qualities we ourselves have. It's just easier to see them in other people. That got me thinking about the kind of life I want Lucy to have, and the way I want her to view herself. Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was some way that I could help her see all the wonderful, beautiful, strong, admirable things about herself for her entire life?
So to all you women out there, GIVE YOURSELVES A BREAK. How can we teach out daughters to love themselves if all they see is us being critical of ourselves? You are all beautiful and have something to offer this world that only you can do, in a style that only you have. Don't be afraid to speak up when you admire another woman. Let her know! Remind her of the good things about herself, just in case she's forgotten. Let's create the kind of world we want our daugthers to live in. She'll face enough criticism in her life; let's teach her how to love herself.

Okay, enough with the preaching. So, we went to dinner with Tom's parents this week, and when the waiter found out Lucy's birthday is next Wed. they brought ice cream with a candle and sang to her. It was really cute!


Cuddles with Daddy.


Lucy LOVES the water. On hot days I take her to Liberty Park where she can play in the man-made streams.








Sweet baby Lucy. Always so happy!





3 comments:

  1. I loved this post!! I always enjoy reading your blog! And your little baby Lucy is so adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was perfectly said girl! and i loved the cute pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute, cute pictures and Happy Birthday to our little Lucy girl (a day late)! I have a thought that goes along with your post, it's from TOFW and I loved it, "how would you feel if you saw a mother treating her daughter the way you treat yourself?" It brought me up a little short as I am usually fairly hard on myself as well as not very encouraging to myself, so just think of that when we are tempted to be too critical of ourselves. Thanks for the gentle reminder of how we should be as women. Love you to pieces. Aunt Nana

    ReplyDelete