Thursday, September 24, 2009

Peanut Butter and Elephants

Lucy loves peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. In fact, despite my efforts to feed her a well-rounded diet, she pretty much will only eat pb&j, yogurt, bananas, and grapes. Picky eater. I suppliment with vitamins. Anyway, she gets really messy, since she's just learning to feed herself. I thought these pics were cute.
On another note, we went to the elephant parade at Gateway Mall . I walked a total of 40 blocks there and back to see elephants for less than five minutes, but Lucy seemed to like them. Plus, she likes being in the stroller and it was good excercise. However, by the time I got home I was really wishing I hadn't run that morning!


She's the light of my life :0)


This guy was dressed as "strong man". His pillow muscles were impressive.



elephant float











I love that they hold eachother's tails with their trunks. It reminded me of Dumbo.





2 comments:

  1. Sadly, holding tails with trunks (the trainers call it "tailing up") is not a natural elephant behavior; you will never see wild elephants doing it. Which means that, like all the other tricks elephants do in circuses, they learn to do it through abuse. They are punished if they don't do the tricks.

    An elephant's ability to feel pain--as well as sorrow, joy, and happiness--rivals our own. In circuses, every instinct is subject to discipline. Elephants who reach for a blade of grass, try to comfort a friend, or extend their trunks to smell something new suffer a painful blow from a bullhook. A fumbled trick during the show results in a beating. Elephants in circuses live a sad life of punishment and confinement.

    I have only read this one post, but you seem like a guy who wants what's best for his lovely daughter. Please don't start by teaching her that it's ok to abuse these magnificent animals in order to entertain us. Teach her to respect the natural world around her, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your insight, Reuben, as I also am a friend to the animals. However, I thought I would correct one small point. I'm a woman. Not a guy. Last time I checked, anyway.

    ReplyDelete