Saturday, November 7, 2009

First Race; First Place!!

For my birthday this year I decided to run my first 5K. My parents recently ran one in Florida, and as my earlier blog posts suggested, I "caught the bug". I've been training hard for almost a month now. I was so nervous for the race. As Tom and I pulled up and I looked at the hundreds of other runners (it was a smaller race, but there were still in the neighborhood of 300 runners), I actually said out loud, "What have I gotten myself into?"
I was so intimidated by their long, skinny legs and lengthy bodies. They all looked like bred runners to me! I literally felt sick, and arrogant for ever thinking I could compete with real runners. I wasn't much of a runner in high school or middle school, and those gym class horrors came back into my mind real quick.
Anyway, I took a deep breath and reminded myself that I'm not here to win, I'm just here to run. To finish the race.
It turns out, I exceeded my own expectations! I finished the race in 25:37, which put me in first place for the women age group 20-24, and 22nd overall! I was very happy with my time, and with the race in general. It felt so great! I even got a little medal that said first place. I can't wait to run another one!
As my husband and father both pointed out, though, I may want to wait until the baby is born. Training that hard while pregnant is tough, and will only get tougher. I will definatly keep running as long as my little zygote will let me, though.
What a great birthday! Thank you to everyone who came to the race to support me! Me after the race, sporting my 5k shirt and medal
Just got my award and some flowers Tom had for me at the finish line.


Just crossed the finish line; Tom was waiting there with flowers!


I'm just behind the tree in blue and red


Standing at the "Start" line, waiting nervously




5 comments:

  1. Good job!!!!! That is so great!! You look SO great and So skinny! Can I have your body after this little guy comes out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i still can't get over how incredible you did!! you deserved it for how hard you trained!! cant wait to hear how the next one goes!

    way to go!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WAY TO GO RIAH KATE!!!! I am SO....Proud of you and that you did so well on your very first race.. YOU are your mother's daughter for sure. You look fantastic in every picture (even the ones where you just finished, I would have had such a red face and anguished look and there you are all poised and smiling, WOW!!!) You should feel like you can conquer the world now. Did your mom and dad make it down? Love you to pieces!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. O I'm so sorry, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I didn't get you called on Saturday and I fully intended to. Hope your day was as special as you are. MWAH! that's a Nana kiss for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Sis!!! You are one AMAZING chic! Your baby will be soo proud one day when you tell him/her what a tough mama he/she has! You did sooo GREAT, Congrats on achieveing your goal!

    ReplyDelete